Most of the parts are lasercut wood and designed around a combination of slots/tabs and m3 screws/kept nuts. I had zero problems with the quality of the cuts, the alignment of pieces, quality of the wood (qc is good here).
One thing I should have noticed was that the current settings were too high for some of the steppers -> found that later.
The connection to the stepper is fishing line (not certain what it's made of - there was a white line and a yellow line and I liked the feel of the white one better - the yellow one felt like kevlar to me). I was suspicious of the vinyl tube around the stepper shaft/fishing line combination but it actually works very well -> palomar knot on one end and just wrapped a few times around the other screw and tightened on the other (to a high violin C). I went with fewer wraps around the shaft than suggested because it offered less angular change over the range of motion.
The instructions want the stepper attached before mounting on the y axis but I didn't do that because I remember the problem getting to the mounting screw later.
There were four halfs of what looked like a nut retainer to screw the flat on the stepper shaft and four small gears. I just used wood glue to bind two halfs with a nut sandwiched inside to one small gear. That ened up working very well.
Once the extruder is mounted there is a slight angular tilt down towards the front from the tension - this is not a bad thing at all, but the angle of the bed needs to be aligned to match this angle. I guess one could shim or build in an adjustment at the extruder mount point but it's not a big deal to level the bed.
I was guessing that the built in setting for the printrboard would be in the ballpark of correct and thought I would do the calibration after my first print... bad idea. The x and y axes were off by a factor of 2, the extruder setting was way way off (got a big pile of goo - it was running 18+mm of filament when told to push 5mm). I thought that off by around 4 would be a step mode difference on the board but since the values I ended up with for the extruder were not too far from other people with that extruder I think there must have just been some odd glitch. After calibration everything was quite happy. After a couple of weeks where I can see how stable they are I'll just burn them into the eeprom.
Overall it's a neat little printer. Lots of little design decisions I like - lots of room for improvements and customization. For the price I think it would be hard to pass up as something fun to build and as an opportunity to get your fingers wet with 3d printing. It's going to take someone new a bit of effort to research how to troubleshoot and optimise but to me there is far more value in learning something along the way. (There's nothing wrong with a highly refined (and higher cost) product - but things like this serve a very different niche and the two aren't really comparable). Get something like this into the hands of kids or adults that want to do something different and much fun will be had and new skill gained.