Monday, September 3, 2012

Snapping turtle happy time...

While it isn't that unusual to come across strange things every day - walking up upon snapping turtles in the process of mating wasn't something I was expecting...

It was a rather interesting process - mostly slow but determined movement - why they were doing this in the middle of the river not far from a deep drop off I don't know.

Surprisingly there was a lot of interaction leading up to the business part of the episode.  I haven't seen snapping turtles breeding before, but I wasn't expecting a lot of social interplay (especially with jaws that can cause critical damage).

I was also surprised at the flexibility in both the arms and the front legs - watching them it's kind of mesmerizing how much power they can exert.  I'm used to thinking of turtles in the context of the classic box turtles I see almost every day, but snapping turtles are completely different.

Once locked together I figured it was time to just leave them alone...

Just an odd little experience to come across... kind of neat.  Bigger versions are here.