Friday, June 3, 2011

They start out fluffy and white...

Today I learned that turkey vultures (the ever circulating very large black ones with the unusual heads) start out as little quasi-dinosaur-ish white fluffs... These are about a week old, deep in the woods in a little cave on the side of a cliff over a river. 

Another interesting thing about these little ones is that they make a sound very very like a rattlesnake.  I didn't get too close (the mother was about 20 feet over my head watching the dog (in a platz 50 feet away on the top of the cliff) but the sound is loud enough that if I didn't know the cave was there I would have thought it was a snake.  Kind of a neat thing - I wondered why a fox wouldn't raid the nest... now I know...

I know they are about a week old because I checked the nest a week ago when the mom didn't leave the cave I when I got home I saw the broken shell...

A little before that I found the eggs in the cave... The mother flew up in a flurry of feathers and wind when I was hiking along the top of the cliff - sparked my interest - climbed down - found the eggs...

Happy Mischka loves the vultures... why I don't know... She was the one that scented out the cave, but I haven't let her close to it now that they've hatched.