Friday, February 18, 2011

The Tanukifu project...

Lately I've been a bit busy with some little projects (and so there hasn't been a lot of my normal social activity)...

Most (if not all of my life) I've tried to learn something new every day.  For whatever reason I seem to be the happiest when I can say at the end of the day that I've been changed the way I look at the world - that I have a better understanding of who I am...

Today I have finally decided to start putting one of these recent projects online.

The goal of the Tanukifu project is to build a flexible and open set of tools to explore system development for purely educational/academic reasons. While high performance IP modules are available from many vendors (and are often the correct business choice), these are often non-ideal for learning the "how and why" behind the designs or the implementations. Therefore the goal here is to take the specifications for a given device or the raw concepts for accomplishing a particular goal and then create an open source implementation that allows one to use that given device. It is not expected that the project will lead to the fastest/smallest/most efficient solution, but rather that it will lead to better a understanding of how and why things work (something that really only occurs when people can play around and make mistakes along the way).

Right now I've set up a code repository for the project at http://code.google.com/p/tanukifu/  I've only made a tiny part of the project available (an I2C/TWI controller in verilog) - but on it's own it's something that could be useful to someone else.  Over time I will add some posts that explain the way the part work and many more things will be added... Overcoming that first inertia is the hardest part...