Sunday, June 27, 2010

On the character of the individual...

I've been trying for a while to figure out how to capture what makes individuals special - to capture an image that makes me remember what sets one apart from the others that look so much the same... (bigger)

After trying a wide number of tricks to capture a faster frame, a more precise moment, a more perfect or exotic lighting environment (and failing to make progress) I changed my strategy completely... (bigger)

I decided to spend one day just watching birds I have seen many times before - deck birds - occasionally fed seed, not afraid of me (indeed watching for me at times)... In the sticky heat, I merely sat and watched - looking for the little behaviors, movements and alignments that were different between similar birds... (bigger)

The next day I went out with the camera, and waited in the increasing heat until I felt the light would be right soon (no flash here), estimated the metering and just cleared my head of all thoughts... The goal here was to capture only the specialness that sets them apart - the moment I felt connected to them - and for the first time, I felt I was getting closer when I reviewed the images... (bigger)