Thursday, February 18, 2010

Passed over the first time...



With life starting to get back to normal after all this snow, my head is starting to get out of the "survival mode" it's been in for the last few weeks. While it makes sense that stress can change one's perspective on life, it ended up revealing something more subtle about my perspective when I don't feel under stress as well. (bigger versions)

In my normal workflow I first archive all the images from a session and then make a first pass to mark those I find potentially interesting enough to spend time on - these are then copied to a different location and later I make a second pass and decide which ones to finish.

With some more time indoors and not out shooting I decided to look back at the originals, to make a second pass at the full sequences of shots from previous sessions in an attempt to analyze how I was adjusting to different conditions over time - how fast I was adjusting my approaches - how I was learning from previous sessions. What surprised me was how many shots I didn't decide to process that I should have...

Only looking at a few sessions I found many images that I can not find any rational explanation for why I passed them over the first time. Unexpectedly I had discovered that I was simply not seeing what was before me... Now this would normally not surprise me if I was unhappy or sad or overly busy, but this seems to have been happening even when I was in a good mood and excited and engaged.

Funny the things we learn about ourselves when we least expect to find them...