Sunday, January 17, 2010

Should you always take the shot...

Last Friday I was out shooting eagles - the temperature was great for this time of year but it was one of those days where I was having a lot of problems finding situations where the shooting conditions (light and angles) matched the opportunities (access and action of the eagles). It happens more often than not and so after a bit I decided to go for a hike and clear my head of frustrations - recenter myself. About two miles down the river I did find an eagle perched up in a tree and slowly moved into the brush along the river trying to get an angle without branches in front of it's face. When I was almost out of space and just before the bank my eyes turned out on the river and I saw an opportunity.

The river level had dropped lower than I had seen this year (the dam upstream had stopped generating power) and a field of rocks had broken the surface. Gulls had taken one over and a duck (which I think left the bank because of me) was swimming towards them. Something in my head triggered and up came the camera. I knew I had captured something interesting but my focus switched back to the eagle and it wasn't until the next day that I saw what I captured.

Ours: (bigger versions)
















Outcast: (bigger versions)
















For some reason this was the first time I took and image that I wasn't comfortable with later... I know it wasn't my best shooting day technically, but this time it was all about composition and feel - (they made me feel, just not a happy feeling). I think the reason these made me uncomfortable is that from time to time in life I do feel left out and outcast. While it doesn't usually bother me, there are times when it seems like it's the most important aspect of life - I end up loosing perspective about what's important in life and become unhappy. The key (at least to me) is remembering that it's the interpretation and not the details of life that gives meaning.

I did get the eagle as well, but what I mean to him I will never know. (bigger versions)