Thursday, December 10, 2009

Smugmug and flickr...

When I tested the waters and first posted images on Flickr I thought that perhaps I would upgrade it to a pro account so that I could load many more, but I found that I wasn't comfortable with the lack of uniqueness I could add to the site... Smugmug is more expensive and is really setup for people to do business, but while trying it out (2 weeks free) I realized that I had found a comfortable place... things just made sense to me... I could change things as I see fit whenever I wished and this made me happy. It is also easier for me to link images to posts on blogs (like Nikoncafe - hands down my favorite online photography community). I came to realize that the homogenous aspect of Flickr made it ideal for people to feel a part of a group and therefore socialize. Smugmug is much easier for me to place lots of images that are important "to me" for whatever reason while Flickr is a place where I only post images that "I" think may be interesting to someone else (which doesn't mean that other people care about them at all)... Most people that know me will check my Smugmug account and people that don't "may" stumble across my Flickr account. My Smugmug account more closely represents my view of the world. My Flickr account more closely represents my guesses about how other people view the world. They are both valuable to me, but for different reasons.